Life at University

Accommodation at university

We are delighted to be able to help Jewish students access kosher accommodation when they go to university. Kosher accommodation means a room in a residential Hillel House or a self-catered flat in a hall of residence. This allows Jewish students to live and cook together. In some facilities, rooms have their own cooking facilities whilst others have larger shared kitchens.


Applying for university accommodation

Some universities have allocated halls of residences for students who would like kosher accommodation. These universities include University of Birmingham, University of Bristol, University of Cambridge, University of Exeter, University of Leeds, Leeds Beckett University, University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University and University of Oxford.

If you would like to live in university-owned halls and the university that you would like to attend does not have kosher accommodation, please contact the UJS Office or call 020 7424 3288 as we may be able to help you arrange this.

When applying for accommodation, it is very important that any Jewish student requiring kosher accommodation writes clearly on their form that they are kosher. 


Hillel Houses

Hillel Houses are located in a number of university cities. They typically feature kosher cooking facilities and communal areas; residential Hillel Houses also have bedrooms. Hillel Houses are also often the hub of Jewish student life in a city and the home of J-Soc activity.

Residential Hillel Houses include Birmingham, Cardiff, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield. Non-residential Hillel Houses include Durham, Warwick and York. For information about these spaces, please contact the UJS Office.


Accessible accommodation

Jewish Blind and Disabled operate a number of state-of-the-art mobility apartments, with 24/7 on-site support from resident house managers, across north east and north west London. This accommodation is not exclusively for students, but the apartments are able to house adults from the age of 18 upwards who have physical disabilities or impaired vision; they are open to students at all levels of study who are in this position. Please contact them directly for more information.

If you would like to live in accessible university-owned accommodation, please contact their accommodation services directly. For information about the accessibility of Hillel Houses, contact the UJS Office


Find your local J-Soc