The New-Old Jerusalem
The early 20th century saw Jerusalem begin to grow and spread beyond its walls. New neighborhoods were founded around the ancient heart of the city. At the time, the outskirts of Jerusalem were mainly uncultivated land where goats and camels roamed future roads and parking lots. How did Ben–Yehuda Street, Jaffa Street and the Machane Yehuda market look before Jerusalem evolved into the bustling modern city it is today? Take a look.
The new streets of Jerusalem were inaugurated and decorated in honor of notables. On the right: Emek Refaim Street decked in ribbons in honor of Eitel Friedrich, son of the German Kaiser, April 1910. On the left: High Commissioner Herbert Samuel cutting the ribbon in the inauguration ceremony of King George Street. The street was inaugurated on December 1924, on the seventh anniversary of the British conquest of Jerusalem.
Two kindergartens in Jerusalem. On the right: a kindergarten near the Old City, 1912. Left: a kindergarten in Nachlat Shiva, circa 1920.
Like all of Jerusalem, the Rehavia and Beit Hakerem neighborhoods are barely recognizable. Before they became home to some of the wealthiest families in the city, the labor battalions ran a stone quarry in the area. On the right: tents of the labor battalion, Beit Hakerem, 1921. On the left: the quarry in Rehavia, in what is today, Ussishkin Street, 1921.